Fastbase Accounting System
Internet & Ecommerce
Fastbase Client Sites
Office newsAgain this is the first newsletter for some time, sorry about that. The Fastbase office will be open over the Christmas - New Year period, except for the statutory holidays. We will be at reduced capacity so please keep enquiries to urgent questions or issues.
Nathan has passed his exams, he now is the proud owner of a BA in computing. I have been involved with aeronautical pursuits lately. Our office plants survive despite our best attempts, one is dressed up ready for Christmas.
We've been very busy the last several months, and so have many of you I understand, despite the financial climate. Here's wishing things will get better. Have a good Christmas,
Minimum Gross Profit per Inventory typeUnder Utilities - Types - Inventory - (choose a type or create a new one) - Control Details tab, there's a new field "Minimum GP %". This value is checked while receipting goods - if a part's GP% falls below the minimum, the user is offered the option of maintaining the part to update the sell price. By default there is no minimum GP% so unless you set the minimum GP% on a Inventory Type, no check is done.
Website searchWe have improved the product search facility within some of our customer websites. Now if you enter more than one keyword (separated by spaces) into the search field, the search will find products matching all of the keywords, where each keyword appears anywhere in any of the product description, number, name fields etc. This makes the search somewhat more intuitive. If you want this applied to your website let us know.
Zero-value invoicesUnder Processing - Print Invoices & Credits, you can now select "No" for "Print zero-value invoices ?". When the invoices are printed, no invoice that has a total amount of zero will be printed or emailed.
New CSV format for exporting Purchase OrdersWe have added support to Fastbase to export Purchase Orders in a new (more detailed) CSV format.
The previous Exported CSV format only contained the Part number, Quantity Ordered and Price for each line item. This format was designed for importing line items into an accounting package. The new format contains order details (including Order No, Date, Delivery Details, Supplier Details), more line item details (including the part Description, Weight and Cubic info, line item totals and order totals) and a Footer (which has Delivery Instructions and the Authorised By). The new format is designed for importing a Purchase Order into a spreadsheet application (e.g. MS Excel).
This new format is made available through a setup option, if you are interested or would like more information give us a call.
Barcode scanning on goods receiptsWe've changed Goods Receipt entry so you can now scan product barcodes rather than manually entering part numbers. If you are using the Pack tab to set pack quantity information for products, scanning a barcode can also set the quantity received, per the pack inner or outer quantities. If you want to know more about this give us a call. The scanning feature can display the goods receipts lines in different colours depending on whether the quantity scanned is an underscan or overscan - this is controlled by a setup option, let us know if you want this also.
Parts Price Import - importing of Product pack detailsUnder Maintenance - Misc - Products - Import Parts Price File - Start - (select a file), there used to be seven generic selection fields, where the user selects a field (Part Number, Description etc.) from a drop-down list and a column number (also from a drop-down list). This layout has been modified to make it clearer, and to make it similar to the part enquiry/maintenance screens. As well as being spread over three tabs, each attribute of a part that can be imported has it's own select field for assigning a column from the import file. You can now import pack details and product type.
Web User Maintenance Security LevelsWe have changed the user security settings required for maintaining Web Users in Fastbase.
Fastbase users with AR level 2 security can now maintain Web Users via the customer enquiry/maintenance screens (More Options - Web Users). Users with GL level 1 security can view and maintain web users via the Utilities menu (Utilities - E-commerce - Web Users). Users with AR level 1 security can still view Web Users through the customer enquiry screen (More Options - Web Users).
Previously users with AR level 1 security could view web users through the customer enquiry screen and users with GL level 1 security could view and maintain Web Users via the customer enquiry/maintenance screens and via the Utilities menu.
Cubic volume and weight on purchase ordersWe've changed Purchase Order entry so a running total of the cubic volume and weight of a purchase order can be displayed. This can be useful if you want to fill a shipping container close to capacity, for example. To use this feature you need to have first set the Pack Dimensions for each product, under the Product Maintenance - Pack tab. This feature is enabled by a setup option, let us know if you want this. The Cubic and Weight totals of a purchase order can also be printed on the purchase order stationery - contact us if you're interested.
Highlight backorders supplied direct to the customerThe list of active sales orders (Order Entry - Maintain Sales Order) has items on backorder displayed in green. Now any orders with backorders that are being supplied from a drop-shipment purchase order can be displayed in orange. This feature is made available via a setup option, contact us for more details.
Forward Dated InvoicesCustomer Invoice transactions can now be dated further in the future.
Previously Fastbase would not allow a new invoice to be future-dated by more than two months. We have changed this so that the limit is now configurable. We can also configure a "warning" data limit that can be over-ridden. By default the limit is still two months.
Plus keyWe have added a feature to transaction line item entry. Now you can use the "+" key whenever you would normally click the "Save" button (or type Alt-S) to save a line item. This works on Invoices, Credits, Quotes, Sales Orders etc. This feature is enabled by a setup option, let us know if you want this.
Customer receipt referenceWe've added a feature so Fastbase can check that any Reference entered for a customer receipt has not already been used. The feature is enabled by a setup option, if you're interested let us know and we'll enable it for you.
Ten price levelsFastbase supports five price levels for parts, you set these up under Utilities - Modules - Inventory. Although it is possible to set up a price level of any number between one and ten, only levels 1 - 5 are fully supported in all areas of Fastbase. We have changed Fastbase to support levels 1 - 10 for the Customer Default Price Levels, and also when calculating prices on Sales Orders and Invoices.
Customer Credits - distinct return-branch per line itemWhen entering or maintaining a line item on a credit note, there's a new field, "Return Branch". Use this if credited goods are being returned to more than one branch.
Product Listing reportWe've added a new Branch option to the product listing report, under More Options. You can now report the Available and/or On-Hand quantities for a selected branch. By default all branches are reported.
File - PrintersThe File - Printers menu option is where you can set the default printer for different types of stationary (invoices, statements, packing slips etc). Fastbase stores these selections in a file on your PC, by default this is C:\fastbase.gdi. Sometimes Windows doesn't permit a user to write to the C drive. These issues are especially prevalent with Windows Vista. We've changed the File - Printers screen to make it clearer what's going on. This is mostly of interest if you're setting Fastbase up on a new computer.
Consolidated InvoicingThere is a new choice (M - Monthly Consolidated) for the 'Print Invoice' option under the Preferences tab of Customer Maintenance. If a customer has the new option selected, they will get a monthly consolidated invoice.
To add an invoiced to a customers consolidated invoice the invoice must be created via Order Entry - Maintain Sales Order - Options - Create Invoice.
All consolidated invoices for a given month are put in a batch titled "Consolidated Invoices". The batch is dated the last day of the month and the status of the batch is closed. You can print consolidated invoices via transaction enquiry or Processing - Print Invoices & Credits. This option is made available via a setup option, contact us for more details.
Select from the following list of newsletters that have been sent out.
- 04/12/2020 Office News, Convert Quotes to Invoices, Emailed Invoices - configurable messages, Create Stock Adjustments from Part Enquiry screen, Print Part Labels from Part Enquiry, Changes to Assemblies, Import Products into Branch Transfers, Default folder for exporting reports
- 28/05/2020 Office news, Print single customer invoice, GST on overseas supplier invoices, Batch-tracked items in the Stock Valuation report
- 24/03/2020 Office News, Working from home - remote access to Fastbase, Maximum discount per customer
- 13/12/2019 Office News, Print out Enquiry Search lists, Keyword Search for serialised parts, Network and database performance, GST on overseas purchases
- 18/09/2019 Office news, Photos per serial number, Cash Payments report - invoice lines, Display and reporting of selected suppliers' product IDs
- 30/11/2018 Office news, Disable old user accounts, Customer Credit: Option to write-off returned goods
- 21/08/2018 Office News, Lost Sales, Transaction Batch Reports, Previous Supplier Pricing, Customer Aged Trial Balance grouped by invoice Due Date
- 28/02/2018 Office News, Customer credit days, Sending emails from Fastbase
- 01/12/2017 Office News, Emailing for remote Fastbase users, Customer Price Book for selected products, Import Stock Take count figures from a CSV file, Direct Credit Schedule for BNZ, New fields on Parts Price-List Import, Product Documentation, Satellite branch stock replenishment using Suggested Order Generation, Additional information about last receipt on Goods Receipt Costing Sheet
- 02/12/2016 Office News, Stock Price List Report - Part Extra Description, Non-Stocks parts on Part Assembly, Quick key to scroll drop-down list on selection fields, Cash sale - receipt transaction type
- 14/03/2016 Office News, Sorting Customer Invoice line items, Part Assembly Component List, Stock Purchase History
- 04/12/2015 Office News, Orders and Quotes displayed on main Fastbase screen, Reporting on Superseded parts, Freight Detail Report options
- 11/03/2015 Office news, New Zealand domain names, Customer Sales Order Display, Consolidate parts on Inwards Goods Report, Stock Ordering Report
- 05/12/2014 Office News, Search for parts when making a Purchase Order, Quantities per Branch on Inwards Goods Report
- 13/11/2014 Office news, Email a note to selected users, New fields on Parts Price-List Import, Selection of multiple call cycles, Back-order warning, Fastbase on Windows 8, Anti-virus software on Windows servers, Dual monitor support, Customer keyword search now includes Contacts and Delivery addresses
- 24/12/2013 Office News, Search by Main Supplier when Selecting Parts
- 28/11/2013 Office News, Quoting for items that aren't recorded as parts in Fastbase, Stream-lined entry of new part assembly transactions, Sorting of customer notes on the appointments screen, Maintaining a customer note - "Complete" button save and exit
- 24/09/2013 Office News, Prospective customers, Delete multiple expired quotes, Customer Activity Report, Import quote lines from a CSV file, Customer Frequent Products - exclude returned goods
- 19/02/2013 Office News, Changes to Contacts, Emailing and printing an invoice when creating an invoice from a sales order, Copy Customer, Selected Operator for Quote Summary and Quote Expiry Reports
- 06/12/2012 Office News, Fastbase notes, Warning message when sell price is below cost, Non-stock parts - cost-price validation on customer orders, Receipt printing, Changes to quote summary and quote expiry reports, Report original operator & salesperson on invoice register, Print customer special pricing
- 14/07/2012 Office news, Change to Suggested Purchase Order Generation, GL Transaction Listing report, Creating normal stock items from non-stock items when converting quote into order, Maintaining Goods Receipts, Display total cost and GP% for Build-Misc line items, Automatic Disabling of Overdue Customers, Future-dated transactions not included in Customer/Supplier Balances
- 15/02/2012 Office News, Photo indicator in Part Enquiry, Drag-and-Drop line items, Warning message for customers with active quotes
- 25/11/2011 Office News, Create a Quote from a Customers Discounts, Store Part information per Code, Store Image for each Customer
- 12/09/2011 Office News, Maximum Days Credit on the Customer Listing Report, Typing ahead, Long running searches, Subject in notes, Customer Notes and Alerts - Search, Supplier Payment Batches
- 02/06/2011 Office News, Image upload feature, Database replication, Search for products or customers, Progress bar, Print transaction batch, Selected companies per user, GL Account balances and unposted transactions
- 25/03/2011 Office news, Keyword Search, Report all accounts on GL Transaction listing, Additional Info on Suggested Purchase Order Report, Customer Credits on GST Report, Customer Sales Analysis by Gross Profit
- 02/12/2010 Office news, Stock Sales Analysis by Gross Profit
- 15/11/2010 Office news, GST rate change for NZ, New web server, websites and backup, Order Number in emailed invoices
- 28/09/2010 GST rate change - final reminder, Duplicate Bin Location Warning
- 20/08/2010 Office news, GST change on 1 October, Customer statements in CSV format, Single invoice per order, Order number on Customer Credits
- 18/06/2010 Office news, Copy purchase order line items from another order, Customer credit reference, Customer statements in CSV format, Import customers, Salesperson field on customer transactions, Customer Transactions Listing, Printing Credit Notes, Scheduled Price Updates, Serial and batch number checking in Fastbase, Stock Audit Report for a branch, Website product search, Check order number on invoice entry, Customer Sales Analysis Report, Maintaining customer receipts
- 18/12/2009 Office news, Minimum Gross Profit per Inventory type, Website search, Zero-value invoices, New CSV format for exporting Purchase Orders, Barcode scanning on goods receipts, Parts Price Import - importing of Product pack details, Web User Maintenance Security Levels, Cubic volume and weight on purchase orders, Highlight backorders supplied direct to the customer, Forward Dated Invoices, Plus key, Customer receipt reference, Ten price levels, Customer Credits - distinct return-branch per line item, Product Listing report, File - Printers, Consolidated Invoicing
- 08/06/2009 Office news, Notes subject, Goods receipts and consignment branches, Website search, Barcode pack tab, Product listing report, Company logos
- 16/03/2009 Office news, Suggested Order Generation Report, Customer Sales Analysis Report, Printing Credits, GL Transaction Listing
- 17/02/2009 Office news, Invoicing Multiple Orders, Suggested Purchases Report, Supplier Rebates, Orders Taken Report, Web Display Maintenance
- 24/12/2008 Office news, Part price import, Red alert notes, Map button
- 04/12/2008 Office news, Customer Employee Count, Area search for customer search, Release Backorders, Supplied-only packing slips for release backorders, Financial reports
- 06/11/2008 Office news, Improved Account Search, Contacts Tab, Cancel button, Discounts on website orders, Branch transfer, Barcodes on stationary items, Stock Sales Analysis report, Customer Special Pricing
- 29/09/2008 Office news, Multiple companies with different balance currencies, Profit/Loss Report Structuring, Bank Reconciliation Batching, Financial Report Font, Delivery Method, Part Maintenance, Purchase Order
- 31/08/2008 Office news, Sales found for customers, Supplier transactions, Return reminders
- 13/08/2008 Office news, Invoice Register Report, Backorder release, Email to Fastbase, Print and Email Invoices, Security option, Maintain button, Website part display
- 02/07/2008 Office news, Print Invoices & Credits, Customer Notes, Change Type Details, Maintain Goods Receipt
- 11/06/2008 Office news, Maintenance and Enquiry, Notes - Expiry Date, Emailing Notes, Invoice Register Report, Print Invoices and Credits, GST Adjustments, Fastbase Main Window, Printers
- 29/04/2008 Office news, Find product within a stock take, Product Enquiry - Delete, Hide Costs, Disabled Customers, Customer Order Status report, Print Customer Returns, Delete Customer Returns
- 03/04/2008 Office news, Generate customer returns, Sort sales order lines by part number, Search for customers, Batch and transaction dates
- 07/03/2008 Alex Burge, Cash Receipts report, Web server
- 27/01/2008 Ricky Li, Customer Quotes, Web server, Thumbnails
- 21/12/2007 Christmas dates, Purchase Orders, GL account enquiries, On-screen information for options and selections
- 24/10/2007 Office business, Spam, Company logo, Supplier contacts, EDI Orders & Delivery Confirmation
- 13/09/2007 Emails, Stationary layouts, Deferred GST, Discounts by code
- 12/08/2007 Whereabouts, New developments
- 05/07/2007 Whereabouts, Australian Bank Account Numbers
- 20/05/2007 Whereabouts, Part Listing Report - Print bin locations, Customer Sales Analysis Report - Customer type and area, Stock Taking - Bin locations, Appointments/Notes - Sending Emails
- 25/04/2007 Contact details, Stock Take - Enter Count Figures, Purchase Order - Import, Stock Price List Report
- 23/02/2007 Customer Receipts, Releasing Backordered Goods, Viewing Lists - Sorting Columns
- 01/02/2007 Account Maintenance/Lookup, Maintaining Sales Orders, Printing Packing Slips, Bank Deposit Supplement, Searching by Keywords, FastBase - Startup Page, FastBase - Emailing Us
- 15/12/2006 Supplier Post Code, Order Notes, Purchase Order Register Report, Order Reports, FastBase Main Screen, Supplier Invoice Entry
- 05/12/2006 Fixed Assets, Cancelling Supplier Payments, Xtra e-Mail Not Delivered, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
- 31/10/2006 Looking up Addresses, Selection Screens - Quick Find, Profit & Loss Report - Consolidated Accounts, Saving Report Selections, Merging Suppliers/Customers/Parts, Security Levels
- 24/10/2006 Cancelling Orders & Transferring Stock, Non-Diminishing Parts, Automatic Price Updating, Credits - Surcharge %, GL Account Enquiry - Printing Transactions, Staff Changes @ FastBase
- 13/10/2006 Order Enquiry, Releasing Backordered Goods, Freight Detail Report, Part Numbers, Invoicing Orders
- 04/10/2006 Processing Menu, Order Entry - Non Stock Items, Quote Status Report, Order Entry - Supply Quantity..., Purchase Order Enquiry
- 29/08/2006 Order Entry - Viewing Price History, Enquiry to Maintain Transactions, Barcodes on Products
- 04/08/2006 Sales Order Entry - Price History, Sales Order Entry - Default Quantities, Part Enquiry - Quoting a Customer, Customer Enquiry / Notes
- 25/07/2006 Import Parts Price File, Supplier Payment Details
- 10/07/2006 Part Maintenance - Selling Prices, Part Enquiry - Customer Price, Transaction Quick Entry, Customer Maintenance
- 29/06/2006 Exchange Rates, Stock Enquiry, Balance Sheet, Calendar / Appointments, Addresses - Zoomin
- 08/06/2006 Goods Receipt Entry, Emailing Reports and Forms, Customer Discounts, Stock Valuation Report, Utilities - Types - Inventory
- 19/05/2006 Payments - Bank Reconciliation, GL Journal Entry, 5 Cent Rounding, Customer/Supplier Lookup, Your Internet Connection!, Customer Credits
- 03/05/2006 Goods Receipts, Purchasing Backordered Goods, Customer Listing, Stock Adjustments - Labels, Customer Sticky Labels - Mail Merge, Product Maintenance - Misc
- 15/03/2006 Customer Status, Customer Receipts Summary Report, Supplier Payments Summary Report, Dispatching Orders, Order Logs, Product Maintenance, Users - Minimum Sales GP%
- 03/03/2006 Dishonoured Cheques, Customer Enquiry - Sales History, Purchase Order Entry, Balance Sheet, Stock Price List
- 08/02/2006 Profit and Loss Report, Maintenance Menu, Customer Frequent Products, Minimum Sales Margin - Minimum Sales GP%, Promotional/Give-away Items, Bank Accounts, Stock Listing, Customer Quotes, Suppliers - Payment Due Dates
- 19/01/2006 Product Maintenance/Enquiry, Product Listing Report, Stock Valuation Report
- 13/12/2005 Sorting Lists on Screen, Trading with other FastBase Companies, Supplier Invoices - Narration, Product Enquiry - Sales History, Purchase Order Entry
- 30/11/2005 Order Entry - Drag and Drop, Forward Orders Report, Stock Adjustments, Customer Order Numbers, Screen Reports
- 15/11/2005 Cash Movements Report, Customer Listing Report, Purchase Orders - Authorisation, Supplier Invoice Entry - Take 2
- 27/10/2005 Purchase Orders, Supplier Invoice Entry, Freight on Stock Transfers, Part Enquiry - Alternate Parts, Product Selections
- 10/10/2005 Stock Adjustments, Supplier Payments, Part Enquiry - Photos
- 12/09/2005 Quotes, Order Entry, Product Enquiry, Customers/Suppliers, FastBase - Screenshots, Ecommerce: Web Users
- 23/08/2005 Order Entry, Supplier Invoices, Customer Enquiry - Frequent Products, Emailing Documents, FastBase Startup, FastBase Installation
- 15/08/2005 Emailing Invoices/Statements etc. from FastBase, Printing / Emailing, Product Maintenance - Weight, Order Entry - Cash Customers
- 04/08/2005 Deleting Accounts, Quote Status Report, Quote Summary Report, Bank Deposit Supplement, Printing Invoices for Selected Customers, Stock Price List - for Customers, Emailing Invoices/Statements etc.
- 18/07/2005 Customer Listing, Backup, Customer Credits, Product Enquiry
- 28/06/2005 Product Availability Report, Supplier Invoices (Tax)
- 13/06/2005 Invoicing Orders, Transaction Maintenance
- 08/06/2005 Cash Payments and Receipts, Supplier Invoices - Payments, Supplier Invoices/Credits
- 10/05/2005 Miscellaneous Menu, Narrations, Stock Writedowns, Customer Enquiry, Stock Price List
- 29/04/2005 FastBase - New Address, Date Entry
- 24/03/2005 Stock Enquiry, Customer Freight Charges, Balance Sheet Report, Calendar & Calculator
- 02/03/2005 GL Enquiries, Emailing Reports, Stock Transfers, Stock Taking
- 22/02/2005 Product Enquiry, Line Notes, Backup - Verification
- 07/02/2005 Stock Adjustments, Inwards Goods Report, Estimated Prices
- 22/11/2004 Transaction Entry - Duplicate Products, Item Quantities, Web Sites
- 15/11/2004 New Sales Report, Keyword Search, Stock Valuation Report
- 08/11/2004 Stationery Layouts (Forms), Customer Receipts
- 04/11/2004 General Ledger, FastBase Functionality
- 27/10/2004 Backup
- 11/10/2004 Emailing Reports, Stock Taking, Stock Transfers, Email - SPAM
- 10/09/2004 Transaction Enquiry, Goods Receipts/Credits, Invoicing Goods Receipts, Serial Numbers, Credit Notes, Mouse Wheel
- 06/09/2004 Calendar and Calculator, Barcode Printing/Scanning, OpenOffice
- 25/08/2004 Stock Adjustments, Security, Bank Reconciliation, FastBase
- 10/08/2004 Customer Aged Trial Balance, Period End, Goods Receipts, Stock Transfers
- 26/07/2004 Notes and Alerts, Notes and Alerts - More Changes, GL Journal Batches, Customer Discounts, Product Maintenance
- 14/07/2004 Notes & Alerts, Printing Reports from Screen, Saving Report Selections, Printing Statements, Bank Reconciliation, Customer Sales Analysis Report
- 28/06/2004 Period End, Goods Receipts/Credits, Batch Printing, Screen Reports
- 02/06/2004 Stock Price List, Customer - Credit Control, Invoice Maintenance, Customer Receipts, Customer Enquiry - Transactions, Users - Preferences, Miscellaneous
- 27/05/2004 Finding Transactions, Notes & Alerts
- 18/05/2004 Standing Transactions, Supplier Purchase History, Backorder Email Notifications, Zip Drive??
- 06/05/2004 Stock Sales Analysis Report, Notes and Alerts, Order Entry
- 19/04/2004 Newsletters, Stock Valuation - Aging, Other Changes
- 07/04/2004 Customer Parent Companies, Notes and Alerts (sales messages)
- 18/03/2004 Order Entry, Date Entry, Free Advertising
- 05/03/2004 Entering New Parts, Stock Sales Analysis Report, Date Entry, Account Maintenance
- 27/02/2004 Sales Orders, GL Accounts, Inwards Goods Report, Finding Invoices
- 19/02/2004 Stock Enquiry, Suggested Order Generation, Purchase Orders, Selecting Suppliers, Orders - Notes
- 05/02/2004 Saved Reports, Part Enquiry - Orders
- 27/01/2004 Transaction Entry, Miscellaneous, Reporting - New Feature
- 06/01/2004 Order Enquiry, Customer Receipt Entry, Goods Credits, GL Trial Balance