ML Tcl/tk Text Editor - v1.12
This editor program is designed for editing tcl/tk source files, it can however edit any text file.
I am writing this editor mainly because I wanted an editor which displayed a list of procedures
in the file and provided the ability to go to them with the click of a button. Screen Shot.
The editor may take a few seconds to open a file as it does full syntax highlighting on start-up.
Editing is quick and syntax highlighting is only processed on lines that change and text that is inserted.
- Syntax Highlighting (tcl/tk).
- Text Undo
- Multiple Windows.
- Procedure list with click to goto proc.
- Right click on word for quick find.
- Editor loads all files open since last exit & remembers "find" history.
- Standard search and replace features.
- Goto Line number feature.
The editor is not designed for everybody and personal preferences such as fonts and colours can only
be changed by editing the source code.
Download any of the following 3 options; (Tcl\tk 8.1.1 is required as minimum, 8.3+ is recommended)
- ml.tcl, combobox.tcl &
supertext.tcl (~100k, you may need to right-click to
- ml.zip (~30k, download zip file as alternative)
- ml.exe (~700k, windows executable generated by
freeWrap, tcl/tk not required.)
Download any of the above options as required and save the file(s) into any directory and start the editor with:
wish ml.tcl "files to edit"
"files to edit" includes any number of file names and can also include wildcards.
One window is opened for every file.
The start-up time will be effected by the number and size of files opened.
This editor has been tested on Win98 and Linux. On windows I recommend adding a desktop icon (shortcut) to "ml.tcl".
There is now also a French version available thanks to David Zolli. You can find it
here, follow the "Projets" link in the blue menu at top,
you'll find the link to french ML.
Written by Peter Campbell for the FastBase Development Company Ltd.
- 1.12 released 26th September 2002
- Improved start-up and shut-down speed (files are only syntax highlighted when first viewed)
- The last entered find/replace strings weren't always being stored correctly.
- Other minor improvements.
- 1.11 released 26th June 2002
- Improved the handling of default extensions and opening files of different types.
- Added the "Search Ext" to the "grep" search function.
- All dialog boxes that open are now centered.
- Added a "Help - About" dialog box.
- 1.10 released 25th June 2002
- Added menu option for "grep" like searching, basically standard search but does wildcards, all files in specified directory and subdirectories.
- Added a splash screen at start-up to show the files being loaded.
- Sped-up the starting process, files are only syntax highlighted when they are first viewed.
- 1.09 released 24th June 2002
- Added menu option to increase/decrease the font size (view menu).
- Changed the windowing system so that only 1 main window is opened, previously 1 window was opened for each file.
- 1.08 released 3rd January 2001
- Added shortcut Control-S to save the current file.
- When editing a read-only file (non-writable) the status is "READ ONLY" and no changes are allowed.
- When right clicking on a word that is a procedure name the option "Goto procedure definition" is provided on the pop-up menu.
- 1.07 NOT released 8th November 2000
- Renamed the configuration file from
ml_tcl.ml, this was done to stop
confusing the configuration files with normal scripts.
- 1.06 released 25th August 2000
- Added a "goto line" feature (accessible via control-g or the View menu)
- Double clicking on a brace or quote automatically selects the block or text.
- Other minor patches (problems with cut and paste).
- 1.05 released 30th May 2000
- Implemented the "Replace" option (standard find next, replace, replace all).
- 1.04 released 29th May 2000
- Support for syntax highlighting other files has been added, this works on the file extension, see
the file ml_cfg.sample for an example. Note: the ml_cfg.ml file must be edited using a program
other than ML.
- The view menu has an option to turn word wrap on/off, useful for editing html files.
- Various minor enhancements.
- 1.03 released 5th May 2000
- The undo function could clear the whole file. Also modified the "undo" so that it is reset/cleared
after saving the file.
- Some keyboard bindings (like control-z for undo, control-c for copy) would not work if
capslock was on, these have all been corrected.
- 1.02 released 5th May 2000
- Added the undo function and the cut/copy/paste options in the "Edit" menu.
- The undo/cut/copy/paste options have also been added to the "right-mouse click pop-up menu".
- An error would occur if the user wasn't using tcl/tk version 8.3 or higher.
- The default font is saved in the configuration file "ml_cfg.tcl" (edit this file manually to change
the font, note: the file is created automatically after initial use).
- The [X] (close) button was only closing the current window, now behaves correctly.
- ML now requires "supertext.tcl" and also uses an upgraded "combobox.tcl" (care of Bryan Oakley, see source files for more details).
- 1.01 released 4th May 2000
- Allow the "main" window to be closed like any other, except the window remains visible
with the contents cleared and no name (Untitled).
- Show the editor version in the right hand status window.
- Added configuration file (created automatically) which records the history of "find" strings
(remembers every string searched for). This file also records the files open so that when the
editor is started next time it will open these files by default.
- 1.00 First release 4th May 2000
Other Miscellaneous Tcl Projects
See http://www.fastbase.co.nz for details.